This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My family, and their rejection of authority


My family has always resisted authority. From the rejection of the Anglican Church of King Henry VIII, to saying "Don't tread on me" to King George in the 1770s, my family has resisted being pushed around by "big government".

As a Protestant myself, I'm quick to reject authority. I prefer getting the Word of God from a Bible, not a person who claims to be in authority. Leaders of Protestant churches are ministers, or preachers, and it doesn't matter how much fancy posturing they try to do, if Protestants don't like them, they reject them.

This attitude spills out into ordinary life in the United States. As a country, we have tended to protest a lot. When I was a kid, the war in Vietnam was protested. Although I show due respect to people in uniform, like police, I don't snap to attention in their presence.

Yes, I am a patriotic, law-abiding citizen, but not because someone in authority has told me to be. I studied civics in high school, and I am continuing my education about how governments work. I will stop for a red light, not for fear of getting a ticket, but because I know what a red light is there for. So, don't worry, I have no interest in overthrowing the government, because I know that because of people like my family, here in the United States, it's government by the people and for the people.

Don't tread on me.
Post a Comment