This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Turning to a loving God in times of despair


In a longish life, I've listened to a lot of people who talk about a vengeful God. Their memories seem to be of Sunday School, and lessons of "fire and brimstone". And this makes me sad, as I realize that in times of despair, theirs is a God that they just can't turn to. But I know of a loving God, and his name is Jesus Christ.

Now waitaminute, I'm not telling you what to think. I'm not going to hand you a pamphlet, or thump a Bible. And if Jesus doesn't work for you, then that's fine. But I would like to encourage you to take the journey of discovery, and decide for yourself.

The message of Jesus Christ is so completely simple that a lot of people just miss it. They're looking for complex details, or "the catch". They're wondering if they need to wear something in particular, or memorize chants. And His message can be explained in one word: Love.

In moments of despair, I talk to Jesus. No, I don't go walking down the street, talking out loud to Him, nor do I couch the terms in 17th Century English with a lot of "thous" and "thees". And no, I'm not entirely sure what he looks like, but that really doesn't matter to me.

Somewhere along the line, the simple message of love that Jesus shared got twisted by people who wore strange hats, and did chants, and used and abused their power over people. My ancestors, the Puritans, threw all of that away, and they did so at the risk of their lives. They were interested in the pure message of God. They were Puritans.
Post a Comment