This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

How the atomic bomb saved the life of my dad


When I tell people that my dad is in his eighties, and will be ninety next year, they are impressed. But to me, the most impressive thing that happened to him was making it to age 19. He was a Marine in Okinawa in World War II.

And as impressive as it was to survive that bloodbath, my dad did something even more impressive - he survived what was supposed to happen after that, the invasion of Mainland Japan. Not much is written about that, and it surprises me. Yeah, that's why the Marines fought so hard to take those islands, that was where the attack was to have started from. That's the military significance of taking those islands, like Okinawa, and Iwo Jima. Of course, the invasion never happened, because of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan, at Nagasaki, and Hiroshima.

When the Empire of Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941, they did a sucker punch to an opponent that they thought wouldn't fight back. Instead they unleashed the biggest can of whoop-ass ever in the history of the world - the full force and fury of the United States of America. And that included having atomic bombs dropped on their country. They awoke a sleeping giant. They shouldn't have done that.

My dad survived the war. He came home and started a family. And like most men of his generation, he never, ever, spoke of what he had seen. And I really can't blame him. He had seen too much of death, and the stupidity and futility of war. He was interested in life, and just wanted to play golf.
Post a Comment