This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Understanding the Catholic Church


If you're like most people, the only religion that you will ever know will be the one you grew up with. And like the books that the grownups made you read in school, it will always be a little vague. You may have been taught things that were simple enough for a child to memorize, and then that was it. And in my experience that creates a world of adults who have mostly a childish understanding of their religion.

Today I visited a Catholic Church. No, I didn't go to mass, I simply stopped at the church, parked my car, and walked around a bit. I went inside, after first asking a kindly-looking lady if I was allowed, and she said that I was. I grew up Presbyterian, and the church, which is here in suburban Glendale, didn't really look all that much different to me.

I've always been curious about other faiths, other cultures, other languages. A neighbor of ours in Minneapolis was kind enough to give me a copy of the Book of Mormon when I was 13. No, I wasn't going to become Mormon, and you really don't need to worry. Or say, "it is forbidden!"

Don't worry, I'm not going to try to convert you to Catholicism. But I am going to suggest that you learn more about it. If you're like me, and only have the dimmest idea of what the Catholic Church is, or if you grew up Catholic and really don't remember much of what you learned as a kid, I have good news for you. It's OK. Go there.
Post a Comment