This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My Hall family in Minneapolis, Minnesota


The Hall family has some deep roots in Minnesota, but not in Minneapolis, in Mankato. There are still a lot of my relatives in southern Minnesota. And, originally, the story of my family, that is, my parents and brothers, was to be in Mankato. I even have fuzzy memories of riding my tricycle on the streets of Mankato. Yes, the streets. It was one of those new modern neighborhoods that didn't have sidewalks. And it's still a beautiful neighborhood, the kind that was a real American dream, especially for a young man (my father) who had served in World War II and was raising a family.

My dad worked at Archer-Daniels (now called ADM). He had graduated with a degree in Business, and his future looked bright. Like all of the Hall men, he was handsome, intelligent, and personable, but, for reasons that aren't clear, he lost that job. And there he was in a relatively small town, with a growing family, and no real prospects for another job like the one that he had at Archer-Daniels. Of course, I'm sure he could have worked at anything in Mankato, if he really wanted to stay there. But apparently he didn't. The big city beckoned.

The Hall family moved into an inexpensive rental house on Park Avenue and 46th in Minneapolis when I was a little kid. When my dad did land the job that he ultimately held for thirty years, at the Ford Motor Company, he bought a house on 48th and Bloomington Avenue. That's the house that I remember the best. It was near Lake Nokomis, just a block from the Minnehaha Parkway. If you lived in Minneapolis, you know that most people just described where their house was by saying what lake it was close to. There really are a LOT of lakes in Minneapolis!

With my brothers and mom in the house on Bloomington Avenue. I'm at left.

I have vague memories of visiting some of our Hall relatives in Southern Minnesota. My dad's grandfather, Truman Hall, had a farm there. And my dad's dad, Clyde, lived with his parents. I really have no memories of Truman and Clyde, but I've pieced it together. We didn't have any Hall relatives in Minneapolis, although there were a lot of people that I knew with that name. Of course, most people in Minneapolis had names like Satterberg, and Soderstrom, and there were a few Halls, but none were family.

Interesting enough, many Halls are now in California and Arizona these days. My parents started traveling back and forth between Minneapolis and Phoenix in the 1989 (it's called *snowbirding*) and then settled down to live permanently in Arizona when my mother's mother died in 1999. I have a brother who lives in the Bay area, and I live in Glendale, which is a suburb of Phoenix. My oldest brother, who has been living in South Dakota for years, is now preparing to move back to Arizona. I have another brother, whom I've lost track of, who was in the Chicago area the last time I knew.

By the way, if you listen to me or my brothers talk, and don't hear the typical *Minnesota accent* - (the kind that was made famous by the movie *Fargo*), it isn't because we've lost it by living in California, or Arizona. We grew up in Minneapolis, which has its own accent (or lack thereof) which is the voice of America on radio and TV. It's actually called a Twin Cities accent, and it's exclusive to Minneapolis/St. Paul. My parents still have a bit of their rural Minnesota accent, having grown up outside of the Twin Cities.

So that's the story of the Halls of Minneapolis!

Above: that's me on Bloomington Avenue at 48th Street in Minneapolis, delivering the Minneapolis Star and Tribune newspaper.

Post a Comment