This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

An average white guy

Although in this blog I usually write about my English ancestors, the Puritans, the First Families of America, I am still very much aware that my own blood wouldn't be quite pure enough for their standards. Yes, I have Italian blood. And so, if you see me walking down the street, and you see an average white guy, you may think nothing of it. But it would have been a wild dream for my grandfather, who was born in Italy.

Like the Irish, the Italians were reviled in the 19th Century in America. Nowadays, of course, people with Italian and Irish ancestry are considered just average white people. And, since I believe that someday the world will be filled with people whose ancestry is so jumbled that no one will know who to hate, I consider that a positive sign for the future of humanity.

If you're a racist, that is, if you try to categorize people by the color of their skin, you are about to become extinct. And since race is a nonsense concept, anyway (I'm not trying to be *politically correct* here - do the research, there really has never been agreement on the division of races of people), the battle that people continue to fight to define race is a losing one.

Lorenzo Scinto, my grandfather
I've been told that I'm pretty fly for a white guy! I would prefer not to hear racist comments at all, but I understand. And my grandfather, who came from Italy, would be OK with that. What he wanted was to be an American, and his grandchildren have done that, through no effort of their own. And they have joined the only race that matters, the human race.

By the way, the photo up there is of me at age 30. Like most people with Italian ancestry, I have a five o'clock shadow that starts at about noon. When I was a kid, only gangsters and Richard Nixon had stubble on their faces, and although Don Johnson made it fashionable in the '80s, I still shave as closely as I can.
Post a Comment