This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Violence in the history of the Salt River Valley

Since I live in Arizona, I have a heard a few things about the violence of the days in old Arizona. I knew about Geronimo, about the Indian Wars. And then I found the 1916 book written by James McClintock about the history of Arizona.

The violence is mind-boggling, and sickening. And not only between soldiers and Indians, but between Indians and Indians. I had to skip over several pages, in utter disbelief that anything so horrible could have ever happened. And it went on for many, many, generations.

Looking at all of this from James McClintock's viewpoint, who wrote the book in his fifties, it must have been hard for him to imagine that the wounds would ever heal, or that people would ever forget. And in spite of my interest in history, I have come to the conclusion that this is a part of history that, if not forgotten, is best not dwelled on.

The Salt River Valley, that is, between the White Tanks, the Phoenix Mountains, the McDowells, and South Mountain, was a war zone. There's no way to describe it that isn't horrifying, it was just continuous massacre. Americans, Mexicans, Indians.

When I started my journey to learn more about Phoenix, and Arizona, I thought that I could be fearless about seeking the truth. And I will continue my journey, but with a great sadness for my brothers, and sisters, who saw this, lived through this, and died because of this.
Post a Comment