This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Learning about the valleys of the Phoenix, Arizona area

Like most people who live in the Phoenix, Arizona area, I never paid much attention to the geography. I learned where the freeways were, the main streets, and that was about it. And really, you don't need to be too terribly concerned about the valleys, rivers and the mountains of the Phoenix, Arizona area. It's not as if you would find yourself unable to get north of North Mountain, or unable to cross the Salt River.

But I like Phoenix history, and I've learned that it hasn't always been so easy to get around. And now that greater Phoenix is expanding, it's interesting to take a look at where it can grow to, that is, into other valleys.

OK, I'm no expert on this, but this is what I know so far:

I live in Glendale, which is in the Salt River Valley, sometimes called the Valley of the Sun. Just north of me is Deer Valley. And then there's Moon Valley. And I've known about these valleys ever since I moved here as a teenager. And since I'm interested in history, and especially old photos, I'm fascinated by photos of these areas before anything was built.

So, recently I have been visiting places that are still empty valleys, nearby Phoenix. Yesterday I visited Rainbow Valley for the first time. And man, is it empty! It's south of the last subdivision of Estrella, and it really looks like the end of the world. Another mostly empty valley is the Hassayampa Valley, which is west of the White Tanks. Its more cheerful (and easier to spell) name is the Sun Valley.

Above: The Arizona canal running through the Salt River Valley in 1896. Miles and miles of absolutely nothing. Nowadays most people who cross over that canal every day don't even know it's there.
Post a Comment