This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

What a herald angel is

Christmas songs always remind me of words that I didn't understand when I was a kid, and was too embarrassed to ask anyone about. I would ask the grownups questions, and although I was sincere, I guess my messy hair and crooked glasses made me sound as if I was kidding. So in the Christmas song

Hark, the herald angels sing, glory to the newborn king

I, of course, like every other kid, heard *hairy angels*. And no, you can't ask grownups why the angels were hairy. They were heralds, which means someone who comes before, and announces, an important person.

Oddly enough, the first time I really grasped the concept of a herald was while reading about the Silver Surfer, in the Fantastic Four comic books. He was the herald of Galactus, who roamed the Universe seeking planets to eat. The Silver Surfer went ahead of him, helping make sure that everything was ready for him - that is, if the planets were edible, I guess.

I was a kid long before the invention of the internet, and it really would have come in handy. Maybe Google would have said... *did you mean herald?*
Post a Comment