This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The missing words to the song White Christmas

I've been playing piano since I was a kid, and the sheet music often had stuff that you wouldn't realize by just listening to the song, such as the name of the composer, and lyrics that may or may not have been recorded in popular versions. So, to me, the song *White Christmas* wasn't by Bing Crosby, it was by Irving Berlin. And Berlin wrote a verse that Bing Crosby never recorded. In fact, most people who have recorded the song have skipped the verse. And every Christmas season I would listen to the radio, waiting to hear the missing words, which are:

The sun is shining, the grass is green,
The orange and palm trees sway.

There's never been such a day
in Beverly Hills, L.A.
But it's December the twenty-fourth,

And I am longing to be up North

And then, of course, it goes to the familiar refrain *I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...*

And I can understand why most recordings dropped the verse. It's kind'a hard to get all sentimental about a man who is surrounded by palm trees in California, and is homesick for the Christmases that he remembered. But if you've lived in Los Angeles, and grew up somewhere else, like I did, you will understand.

Christmas is a time for remembering, and it doesn't matter what your circumstances are, rich or poor, living in luxury, or struggling to survive. We all feel disconnected sometimes, even when surrounded by beautiful weather and swaying palm trees, and need to dream.

Here is the complete song, sung by Karen Carpenter:


Post a Comment