This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My Phoenix

I like Phoenix. It's my town. It's been good to me. I have a lot of friends in Phoenix. And if I could wish for anything, it's that I would always be able to live there. Especially, by the way, at this time of year, it's December and the weather is just gorgeous!

I collect old photos of Phoenix, and a couple of years ago I started posting them on a Google+ page that I simply called *Phoenix, Arizona Historical Images*. And then after a while I started to realize that I was showing my Phoenix, which goes from where I live, in Glendale, to as far away as Apache Junction, and skips around a lot. I suppose I should have called the page *Salt River Valley* or *Valley of the Sun* or something like that, but that's not how I think of it. To me, it's just my Phoenix.

In spite of its sprawl, Phoenix is a small town. Unlike Los Angeles, you can wrap your arms around Phoenix. When I moved back to Phoenix from LA, I remember being so pleased to hear about *the big game* or *the big concert*. In Los Angeles, there was always so much going on that there was never a focus.

Phoenix is the right size for me. I've lived in small towns, where it felt like they rolled up the sidewalks at night, and I've lived in the big city where I could never really feel comfortable. My California friends who visit me wonder how I could live anywhere that didn't have seventeen different varieties of sushi restaurants within walking distance, but I guess that stuff doesn't matter to me. There's a place right nearby that serves a great burger, and a real small town breakfast place that serves up my favorite breakfast, including lumpy potatoes.

I'm proud to live here, and to show it off. Next year the whole country will focus on my town, when the Superbowl is played in Glendale. I like here. This is my Phoenix.

Pictured above: The Sahuaro Ranch, which is just north of Glendale Community College
Post a Comment