This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The season where it's OK to believe in peace and love

Like most young people of the 1970s, I was a secret believer in peace and love. I'm too young to remember the optimistic view of the 1960s, where the world was supposed to be entering a time of harmony and understanding, but I remember hearing the songs of peace on the radio. And I still listen to them.

When I was a kid, my friends and I would draw peace signs on our notebooks, and we would flash peace signs at each other by holding up our hand with two fingers up in a V-shape. Of course the grown-ups had no idea what we were doing.

And then the holidays would roll around. And messages of peace and love became mainstream for a while. The grown-ups had to play along for a while, at least until Christmas was over, with the concept of peace and love, good will on earth.

Of course, we were just kids. We didn't know why there had to be wars. We didn't know why people had to hate each other. We just didn't know any better. I am glad to say that I never learned, even when I became a grown-up. I learned to keep quiet mostly, but I am always happy that during the holiday season I can speak up.

Peace.
Post a Comment