This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Visiting historic, and scenic, places

I've always enjoyed history, and going to historic, and scenic, places. I live in Arizona, and lived in California for several years, so I had quite often just jumped in my car to go visit somewhere that I may have read about. I call it *time-traveling*, and it was just an excuse for me to get away.

After my accident (please don't ask), some of my friends were kind enough to take me places. And to my surprise, instead of looking at the historic place, or the scenery, my friends would head immediately to the gift shop, and look at postcards, or books of the place that we were. As a courtesy to them, I would go into the gift shop and stand around, impatiently, and then ask if we were going to see anything. My friends seemed to be genuinely puzzled at my question, because, well, we were there, right? At the gift shop, looking at postcards, and books.

This happened so often that I started to prepare for it, and begin my apologies about not going to the gift shop to look at postcards and books, and instead wandering out, by myself, to see whatever historic, or scenic, place I had been fortunate enough to see.

It got worse for me. People would bring along their cell phones, take photos, and ask me to look at their cell phones. They would point me to signs, or interactive booths, with videos. Sometimes I would be asked to socialize with a tour guide. And I came to realize that it was very rude of me to turn my back on these things, and my friends. But I haven't given up.

I realize that going to an historic place, or a scenic place, and just looking around, is eccentric behavior. I don't mind being eccentric. And my friends seems to be OK with my quirky behavior. I'd like to believe that I'm not the only one who squirms away from gift shops, and tour guides, so that they could see things undisturbed.

There are so many places in this world that I want to see. I want to be there. And when I get there, I want to experience it directly, not look at postcards in the gift shop, or talk to tour guides. Excuse me, but I'm going to wander off, and, no thank you, I'd rather not look at the photo of the Grand Canyon on your cell phone, that's it right over there in front of me.
Post a Comment