This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Time traveling in Glendale, Arizona

Like many people, I am often overwhelmed by the world around me. That is, the traffic, the crowds, the noise, etc. It first hit me, very hard, when I moved to Los Angeles in my early twenties, and I call it the *L.A. Hee-Bee-Gee-Bees*, but it can happen anywhere, even in the nice little city where I live now, Glendale, Arizona.

Don't get me wrong, I like living in the 21st Century. I like air conditioning, especially! But I have developed the ability to time travel, and it always calms my nervous system.

The photo above is of downtown Glendale in 1915. Yeah, quite a bit has changed, but the railroad tracks back there, along Grand Avenue, are still there. This street, now called 58th Drive, was once the main entrance into the little town of Glendale. Then it was 1st Avenue, now it's a little street that hardly anyone ever goes on. But I go there, and I can see 1915. I can hear the rattle of the wagons, see the horses moving impatiently. I can hear people call to each other. I can hear the sound of the desert wind in the trees, the whistle of the train going by. Well, you can still hear that!

I know a lot of places like this, both in the Phoenix area, and in Los Angeles. Here in Glendale, I often go to the Sahuaro Ranch. When I'm there, the modern world melts away, and I'm in 1892. There is no sound of traffic, no planes fly overhead. I can time travel. I find it the best medicine in the world.

I've spent my life as a Graphic Designer, working at top speed, making deadlines, etc. And although I'd like to believe that I'm good at what I do, and that I love doing it, I know that deep down I need a way to *recharge my batteries*, and get away. Luckily, I can do it right here in town.
Post a Comment