This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The end of violence towards women, children, and men

As a man of peace, and a follower of Christ, I don't believe in violence. But since I live in America, I have to witness how far, as a society, we have to go. And I don't believe in violence towards women, children, or men.

You don't have to look very far back in history to see acceptance of violence towards women and children. But I speak for all people, and that includes men.

Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me. No, I'm not going to stand outside of a football stadium, protesting that teaching our children violent sports is the beginning of giving them permission to hurt other people. But at least I can speak up here. And if it changes a point of view of someone, I feel that I have done all that I can. Jesus asked us to be fishers of men, to love our enemies, to turn the other cheek, not to break someone's kneecaps on a Sunday.

My attitude seems to shock many people, who have come to accept that it's *just entertainment* to watch young men knock each other down, and inflict violence on their fellow man. It's as if being male somehow makes it OK to hurt someone, or be hurt. I just wish it wasn't so.

It's nice to see outrage against violence towards women, or children. And the day may come when there is outrage against violence to men, too. I am encouraged by what I have learned of history, and I hope the violent ways of the current time become history, too.
Post a Comment