This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Mentioning race, or nationality, in Phoenix history

I was talking to a fellow researcher on Phoenix history yesterday about something that I have been working on lately, the Chinese in the Phoenix, Arizona area. And I mentioned that I hesitate to talk about certain things, such as race, or nationality, as it seems to get people upset. And there are some people who would choose to never speak of the ugly things that have happened in Phoenix, especially as related to race relations. But I am a believer in the importance of preservation, even if it it preserves something that many people would rather have erased.

As an amateur historian, my motto has always been *don't throw it in the trash!*. And if people's lives are erased because there are some terrible things that happened to them, then, in my opinion, an injustice has been done to them. These people are part of the history of Phoenix, and of America, and of the world. Their stories, and how they lived, needs to be preserved. In personal terms, it's called inclusion.

No, this isn't information that needs to be *cleaned up*, nor is it something that belongs on some goofy Facebook page. And this is not about glorifying something that happened. It's just about preservation.

Preserving the world of the common folk of history is my passion. I want to see the world through their eyes, walk in their footsteps. I appreciate the people who have encouraged me, and understand what I want to do, and to learn. And if some people don't, well, I guess I can understand that, too. But I'm hoping to convince people that erasing history is as terrible as throwing something precious in the trash.

The ad above, for the American Kitchen, which was run by a Chinese family, is from 1903. It was on Central between Washington and Adams.
Post a Comment