This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Learning about different religions

In a longish life, I have met very few people who are interested in learning about different religions. Most of the people that I have met are either completely focused on their religion, or they have no interest in religion at all.

When I was a kid, it just seemed to make sense to keep an open mind, and learn all that I could. But for some strange reason, *just looking* seems to make no sense to most people. Shopping around for a religion seems to be, well, unreligious. As if just looking was going to contaminate someone, or something. When people knock on my door to talk about their religion, I am always curious about their reaction to the mention of a different one. And what I usually see is ignorance, and fear. As if learning about something was going to *brainwash* them somehow.

To me, if you're following a religion just because it's the only one you've ever known, it seems so shallow as to be practically worthless. It's like driving a Chevy, but never comparing it to a Honda. Yes, I know religion isn't the same as car shopping, but decision-making is.

The good news that I've found so far is that all religions have more things in common than differences. Mohammed was a man of peace, as was Jesus. I take a great comfort in learning more about this, and I will continue to learn. And for people who choose to put their hands over their ears and hum, well, I guess I can't blame them if they make poor choices in life.
Post a Comment