This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Death on Facebook

Death hasn't touched my young life often. In spite of the fact that my hair has gone grey, I've never lost anyone really close to me. My parents are alive and well. And so, death remains a distant thing to me, but still something to be reckoned with, and something, in my opinion, that must be spoken of.

To my surprise, Facebook, in spite of how insipid it has always been, can be a great comfort to those who have experienced the loss of someone. And the reason that I returned to Facebook many years ago, after swearing it off forever, is because of a death.

Being an early adaptor to technology, I had a Facebook page very early. I have tried to learn everything on the web, from HTML to social media. And the only way that I learn these things is to use them. So I joined Facebook, and quickly found that it was a big waste time with a lot of useless stuff on it, so after a few years, I deactivated my Facebook account.

Then a friend of mine died. And as a webby person, people turned to me to see if I could help get the word out. And that's when I realized that Facebook could be of some help, and it was. I reactivated my account, and posted information there. I posted photos of my friend. It became a place where people could gather.

Our lives touch so many other lives. And when a life ends, you can really see how the ripples have expanded.
Post a Comment