This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Being a secret Christian

I have to admit that I have been very reluctant to tell people that I am a Christian. And, no, it's not because I'm embarrassed by Christianity, far from it, I am embarrassed by a lot of people who call themselves Christians. So I am a secret Christian. Well, I guess not so secret after I write this blog post.

I grew up in a Christian household. I live in a predominantly Christian country. I've read the Bible. In fact, as I recall, I understood the basic concepts of Christianity by the time I was 13, and was confirmed at Lake Nokomis Presbyterian Church in Minneapolis. No, I'm no genius, it's just that Christianity is a simple message.

No, I don't sing in the Sunday choir, I don't thump Bibles, I don't stand on street corners. And there are many, many other things that Christians feel that they need to do. And, well, you really can't blame them, because very few have read the Book, and have heard the voice of Jesus. I'm not being mystical here, those are as close as humanly possible to his words there in the Bible, and when you read it, you hear His voice.

I'm not going to tell you what those words are. If you're a Christian, you already know. If you just say that you are a Christian, I'm dubious.

Believe me, there are secret Christians out there. And yes, they are human, and they make mistakes. But really, the message of Christianity isn't all that complicated. For people who completely misinterpret it, I just shake my head. I also know a lot of people who don't know what a red light means, or what *no left turn* is all about. It must be a complicated, and scary, world for those people. But I can't live in that world. I'm a Christian.
Post a Comment