This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Understanding the Bible, by reading it

All of my life I've met people who have confused the Word of God with song lyrics, or the Bible with a drum. You know what I mean, they have memorized several lines, without really thinking about what they mean, or they carry around a Bible and thump on it with their hand.

When I imagine my family, the Puritans, I see them reading the Bible. And however long their lives were, I picture them needing more time. More time to read, more time to understand.

Reading the Bible is a cornerstone of the Protestant faith. And that's the main reason that my family has been literate for hundreds of years. Sure, they attended church, probably went to Bible study classes, that sort of thing. But mostly they read the Bible. It was a solitary activity.

If you're curious about Christianity, read the book. Sure, there are movies, and songs, and other things that you can do that might help you to understand. But to hear the Word of God, pick up the original. Find a translation that is in modern language you understand. Don't memorize things, like song lyrics, and don't thump on the cover, read the Bible.

My recommendation is to not start with Genesis, start with the Gospels. The Bible isn't written like a novel, it won't spoil anything if you read about the words spoken by Jesus Christ. And if someone wants to stop you, and make you recite it like song lyrics, or have you thump the Bible like a drum, just ask them politely to go away. And get back to your reading.
Post a Comment