This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The international word - OK

I speak English fluently, and a tiny bit of Spanish, but nothing else. And so when I hear someone speaking a foreign language, I get nothing out of it. Until I hear the word *OK*.

The first time I started hearing it was when I was in my twenties, working in Los Angeles. I would overhear one of my co-workers, whose first language was Vietnamese, talking on the phone, and it always ended with *OK, bye*. And since then I have listened to people speaking a language that I don't understand, and have waited for the word *OK*.

I really can't say how much my English ancestors have added to the world, but the world has definitely found the English word *OK* to be pretty handy. And if my experience has taught me anything, it has taught me that a smile and the word *OK* is part of an international language.

OK!
Post a Comment