This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

In defense of my race, and gender

I am a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant man. Most of my ancestors were mostly English, and my religion, which is Presbyterian, is from Scotland, as are many of my ancestors. And I am a defender of who I am.

No, I'm not a white supremacist, or a skinhead. I'm just a man who was looking for work in Los Angeles in the 1980s when companies were proudly proclaiming that they weren't hiring people like me. But really, I couldn't change who I was, and I needed a job.

Yes, things have gotten much fairer at the workplace since then, but I remember my manager getting memos that essentially asked him to skip over me for promotions, because of my race, and my gender. And little by little, I came to understand the frustration of being seen, not for what you can do, but for your race and gender.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said that a man should be judged by the content of his character, not the color of his skin. And I have met a lot of people who have completely misunderstood what he was saying. He wasn't saying that a particular color was better, or worse. He was saying that all men are created equal.

Equality is not a question of which team is better. And it is a careful balance between pride in yourself and using that pride to hurt other people.

By the way, I did get that job in Los Angeles. And the person that hired me reminded me that, because of my race and gender, I wasn't really wanted, but they needed someone.
Post a Comment