This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Growing up in Minneapolis, Minnesota

I spent quite a bit of time last night talking to an old high school friend of mine. Of course, he wanted to talk about what was going on now, and I kept turning the conversation back to Minneapolis.

I moved away from Minneapolis, where I grew up, when I was 19, so it has *frozen* in my memories as that way. When people used to ask me where I was from, and I said Minneapolis, they really couldn't believe that I had no idea where Lake Minnetonka was, or didn't know much about the freeways. Mine was a Minneapolis as walked, and ridden on a bike. I owned a car for a year there, and didn't drive my parents' car much. I guess I rode the bus, too, which got me downtown.

I've often compared my Minneapolis neighborhood to the one in the TV series *Happy Days*, although a generation later. And yes, it was nice, but, to me, it was just plain and ordinary. To me, there's really no comparing Santa Barbara to Osseo, or the Pacific Coast Highway to 35W. But it's all just names.

Ultimately, it's all the same. People live their lives, pretty much taking in the background of their world for granted. Whether a band plays at the Whisky A-Go-Go in Hollywood, or the Verizon Wireless Center in Mankato, Minnesota, it's the same music.

Most of my high school friends stayed in the old neighborhood, which I guess is what most people do. Minneapolis wasn't, and isn't, a bad place to live, it's just that after 18 years I considered it too dull. I suppose it's just point of view. Prince would disagree with me, as would a lot of people!

Photo above: that me on the corner of 48th Street and Bloomington in Minneapolis. I am carrying a newspaper bag on my head (that's how they did it back then).
Post a Comment