This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The important people in history

I like history, but my take on it has been strongly influenced by John Steinbeck, who said things like:

There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do.

His interest was in the common folk, not the important ones. And really, there aren't any important people. There are names that are recorded in history books, but everyone affects history, just by being there. So, by that measure, you are either important, or not. You choose.

My family wasn't important. There were no Kings or Queens or Presidents. But my family was very important. They did the hard work of living, working, raising children. And these are the people who make the history that interests me. Common folk.

If you're reading this in a mansion high up on a hill, please rest assured that you are part of the history of your time, and are indeed common folk. If you're in more humble surroundings, I don't have to tell you that you are common folk, but rest assured that you are important.

I've been fascinated by history all of my life. But not *school book history*, not memorizing dates, important battles, etc. I want to see it through the eyes of the people who lived at that time.

And I have also been influenced by Carl Sagan, who said

Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, is precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.

So, if you ask me if my family had important people, don't be surprised if I say yes, and no.
Post a Comment