This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Life, death, funerals

I didn't go to my grandmother's funeral. We had made a deal - I would visit her while she was alive, and she didn't care if I went to the funeral. I visited her in 1995 and she died four years later. I don't know if anyone understood what I did, but grandma did, and that's all that matters.

So, if I may suggest, visit people while they are alive, and skip the funeral. If you know someone who has a limited amount of time to live (as we all do), make the same deal. Spend time with them while they are alive. Set aside the formal etiquette and what people might think, funerals, etc. What people might think doesn't matter, it's what you, and that person that you care about, think, that matters.
Post a Comment