This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Growing old, and dying, in the days of our ancestors

No one wants to grow old, and no one wants to die. But, really, we have no choice. And as I drift into the older years of my life, with its aches and pains, the need to wear reading glasses, etc., I often think about my ancestors who grew old, and those who didn't have the chance.

Today I am thinking about Perlicia Jane (Parker) Hall. That's her in the photo at left. She died at the age of thirty, a year after her youngest daughter was born. Her mother, Margaret Ann (Thomas) Parker, who cared for the children after her daughter's death, did live to a ripe old age. In fact she lived to age 92, and that was between 1822 and 1914, so that was reeeaaally old. And as I look at both photos I am saddened by death in one and by old age in the other.

I've always poked fun at this photo of Margaret Ann, who outlived both her daughter and son-in-law Elisha Banks Hall. She doesn't look to awfully pleased to have lived that long!

I am hoping to be blessed with a life that is just long enough.
Post a Comment