This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Why I moved to Phoenix, Arizona

Whenever I look at the story of my family, I wonder why they moved to (and away from) where they did. Of course, in the 1630s, being a Puritan in England wasn't very safe, as it undermined the authority of the King, and he really, really, didn't like that. So my family left England to come to America.

As for the rest of the story, it just seems to be moving to find *greener pastures*. As the land filled up, my family moved west, first to Massachusetts, then *way out west* to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. And as the country grew, the *old west* just became known as the *midwest*, if that makes any sense. I moved to the New West, Arizona, when I was 19.

My reason was simple. I hated being cold, and I had grown up in Minnesota. Yes, I walked backwards to school in the snow. Yes, backwards quite often because of the bitterly cold wind. If you grew up there, you know that I'm not exaggerating.

So if future generations ever wonder why *Uncle Brad* lived in Phoenix, they will know. Sunshine, palm trees, and one more piece of the puzzle - being comfortable.

After I graduated from ASU, I went to seek fame and fortune in the big city, Los Angeles. But after several years there, I returned to Phoenix. I still remember the comfortable feeling of coming home to Phoenix. I often refer to it as if I were putting on an old jacket that just felt right.

Phoenix has been very good to me. After living in Los Angeles, it felt like a small town, and it really is. In my industry, Graphic Design, I know most of the major players in town. I always tell my students to be courteous on the freeway, you may be interviewing with that person tomorrow!

I like it here. Find yourself a city to live in.

Photo: looking south from Wonderview Road on Camelback Mountain.
Post a Comment