This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The Scintos of Castelfranco in Miscano, Italy

If you're a Scinto whose ancestors came from Castelfranco in Miscano in the province of Benevento, in the Region of Campania (Naples), Italy, chances are that you are related to me. In fact, in twenty years of research on the Scinto family, I have yet to have found a Scinto here in America who wasn't descended from the Scintos of Castelfranco in Miscano.

The three major branches of the Scinto family from Castelfranco in Miscano are in Chicago, Connecticut, and Minnesota. I'm from Minnesota.

My Scinto ancestor, Joseph Scinto, came to America with his brother George from Castelfranco in Miscano, Italy, a little before 1897. He was in his late twenties. That's him on the left, with the cigar in his hand.

If you're a Scinto, and have records going back to that generation, you should be able to make a connection. If you're not a Scinto, by the way, it's pronounced *SIN-TOE*, not skinto.

It's kind of cool being of Italian ancestry. I always wanted to be like Dean Martin, or Tony Bennett. Although most people wouldn't guess that the name Scinto is Italian! And, as you can see from the photo, all members of the Scinto family are remarkably handsome. Their only drawback seems to be that they have been *vertically challenged*, and prone to eating a lot of spaghetti!

By the way, that's my grandfather there sitting towards the right, holding my mom, next to my Uncle Robert.
Post a Comment