This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The difference between Native Americans and Native American Indians

When I first started working on my genealogy, I have to admit to hoping that I might find some Indian ancestors. You know, like Elvis had. But no, I didn't.

But at the risk of sounding as if I were just playing with words, I am a native American. That's simply because in order to be a native somewhere, all you have to do is to be born there. I was born in America.

OK, I know what people really mean when they say that someone is a native American, they mean a Native American Indian. No, I'm not trying to be "politically correct" here, I am just striving to be accurate.

You could, of course, just say that someone is Indian, but, really, that's someone from India. Blame Christopher Columbus for the confusion. To be specific, you should say "American Indian". You really don't need the word "native", unless you are talking about where a particular individual was born.

But really, if you say "Native American", people will know what you mean.
Post a Comment