This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

From Scotland, through Nova Scotia, to Lake Nokomis Presbyterian Church

My faith, and the church in which I was raised, is Presbyterian. And, like most kids, I never really gave it much thought. Most of my friends in Minneapolis were Lutheran, or Methodist. I knew a few kids who were Catholic. And I attended Lake Nokomis Presbyterian Church because it's where my parents attended. But once I started studying our family history, the story became much more fascinating to me.

The connection to the Presbyterian Church for me comes through the maternal side of my family, specifically my grandmother Marcellaine Scinto. Her family, which I have traced through the family Bible, came from Scotland, bringing their Presbyterianism along with them. The Hume family left Scotland in the 1850s, came to Nova Scotia (New Scotland) and travelled along the St. Lawrence Seaway and eventually settled in Michigan.

When my grandparents married, in 1919, my grandfather gave up his Catholicism and became a Presbyterian for her, and she learned to cook spaghetti for him.
Post a Comment