This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The boredom of travel in the 21st Century

When I think of my ancestors traveling over long distances, it makes me glad to be living in the 21st Century. I really never have to worry about the hardships of riding a horse, or if I will be able to find clean water, or if there will be decent food. But we have to deal with something that our ancestors never had to worry about - the boredom of travel. Mind-numbingly dull, boring, nothing to look at, nothing to do, travel.

Now, I'm not saying that I would prefer an adventure where my covered wagon broke down, or was attacked by wild buffaloes. But on my trip to Tucson this past Saturday, I sat in a box. Yes, a very nice box, with very comfortable seats. But still a box. The scenery went by and I sat in the box. When I fly, I sit in a box. The plane may be going 500 miles an hour, but I am sitting in a box. When I get into an elevator, I stand in a box. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

I have been fortunate that I really haven't had to commute much in my career. In Los Angeles, I was four miles away from where I worked. Working in downtown Phoenix and living in Glendale is the longest commute that I did, and I only did that for four years. Still, sitting in a box for about an hour every day is pretty boring.

As I type this, at about 4pm Mountain Standard Time, people are leaving work to go sit in boxes. Many of them will sit in those boxes for over two hours every day. Yes, comfortable, air conditioned boxes. But even with the radio, or your iPod, it's dull, dull, dull. You might say, "well, at least no one will attacked by a mountain lion!" Yeah, but that's about it.
Post a Comment