This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Finding my Phillips family in Los Angeles

Like all good genealogists, I don't just record the names of my immediate family. I have aunts and uncles and cousins all over the place. And they are part of my family. Well, extended family. And since my family has been in America for over 300 years, as you can imagine, there are a lot. But what has really interested me in my extended family, has been finding them in Los Angeles.

I grew up in Minnesota, and I have a lot of relatives there, and in Wisconsin. So I never really expected to run into any relatives when I moved to Los Angeles, California. But I did. It's the Phillips side of the family. Please let me explain.

My g-grandfather (I never count the g's), Thomas Burroughs Phillips, had a daughter named Mae (my great-grandmother) and a son named Ira.  In fact he had a lot of kids, but it's Uncle Ira that moved to Los Angeles. Ira is my great-grand uncle, but nobody ever says that kind of stuff. To me he's just Uncle Ira. That's him in the photo above.

Harvey
Marian
From what I can figure, Uncle Ira moved to LA after his daughter Marian did. She married Harvey Kaufman, who worked for the movie studios as an electrician. This would have been during the 1920s and 30s, so I would like to know if he knew any movie stars. I have no information on this, but would love to find it. Did he know Laurel and Hardy? What about the Three Stooges? Cecil B. Demille? You see why this branch of the family interests me? I know what my immediate family were doing then: farming. And when they weren't farming, they were shoveling snow in Wisconsin, and in Minnesota.

Veronica Mae Phillips
Another one of Ira's daughters I call "Aunt Verna". She and her husband Hugh Stanley Goodell lived at 3217 Brandon Street in Pasadena, which may have even been affordable back in the 1930s.

So there you go. There is my Phillips family in Los Angeles. Hooray for Hollywood!


Post a Comment