This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Why men of my generation can cook

I came of age in the interval between "only women cooked" and "liberated women don't cook". As it turns out, it was really only a short time period, spanning the time when women didn't take their husband's last name until women compromised by using their last name with their husband's last name with a hyphen, like Farrah Fawcett-Majors.

My mom was genuinely horrified to think that any of her sons would cook, or clean. To her that was as terrible as imagining them walking down the street in a dress. She never made, or even allowed, her sons to do anything domestic. She often said that she wished that she had had daughters, as she could have used the help around the house. But she was determined to raise "manly" sons.

But the women of my generation, even the ones who were looking for their "M.R.S. Degrees", as we called girls who were looking to get married in college, were of the generation that backlashed to the "domestic slave" attitudes of their mothers. And so I remember hearing a lot of "the only thing that I can make for dinner is reservations", that sort of thing. And, unfortunately, I couldn't afford that, so I learned to cook.

I remember my grandmother asking me who would cook for me, and wash my clothes. She never had the slightest clue about the women of my generation, who thrown off the shackles of being treated as if they existed only to serve men. I think that she despaired for the future of marriage.

Of course, marriage, and families, survived. It's still a constant battle between whether men or women should cook, or clean, or care for children. But at least the battle isn't so one-sided anymore.

I have lived in interesting times!
Post a Comment