This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The value of money in the 1960s

When you look at old images of the 1960s, you see some fascinating prices. And if you time-travel back to the 1960s, a good way to estimate the prices of things would be to move the decimal point over one. That's inflation. That is, the value of money has gone down.

Now, I'm no math whiz, but I can move a decimal point. If you are a math whiz, I apologize, but in rough numbers that TV dinner would be more like $4.99 today than 49 cents. See what I did there?

And that $1,000 winner would be getting the equivalent of $10,000 today. Not bad!

When you time-travel, you have to know the "exchange rate". And keep in mind that that job you have today would pay less back then. Move the decimal point over one.


Post a Comment