This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Petty rivalries, and the foundations of war

As someone who has always been interested in history, I often see comments from people who wonder why people did what they did, back in the day. Didn't people know any better? No, apparently they didn't. And future generations will look back on us and say the same thing.

I grew up in a hopeful time that promised the end of war. I was just a kid, but I remember the "War isn't Healthy for Children and Other Living Things". But there are still wars going on today. And the foundations are still being built with petty rivalries. You can watch it on Superbowl Sunday.

When you see people in stadiums screaming about a game between two teams, as if it really meant something, you are seeing the foundations for war. And worse than that, children are being taught this "healthy competition". To me, I see gladiators fighting to the death in the Coliseum. I see people giving "thumbs down" to show how much they would like to see death.

For whatever reason people like me rejected this way of thinking. In high school I once visited another high school wearing my letter-jacket. Horrors, right? To me, it was just a jacket on a cold day. I wasn't going to take it off to go visit another high school. People who think like this, which unfortunately, has been in the majority of the human race, can be talked into war very easily.

I realize that I am a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. Until then, at least I hope that you find something else to cheer about on Sunday.
Post a Comment