This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Playing football in the snow

I grew up in Minnesota, so the sight of watching a football game being played in a blizzard was nothing exceptional. As I kid, I questioned it, and of course was told "that's the way it is".

But I was noticed today, on Facebook and Google+, that some people were expressing their astonishment of seeing a football game being played in the snow. In the past few years we apparently have become used to seeing it played in the comfort of a covered stadium.

I spoke with a friend of mine who told me that he was glad that these players were well-paid for this. And they are. But my thoughts go out to the children who are asked to do this. And maybe, just maybe, people will start to see that encouraging children to play a game which is based on knocking other children down, and hurting them, in whatever weather, is just brutalizing them.

Perhaps in the future, people will wonder why such brutality was allowed, and cheered. I suppose that the Romans watching the gladiators kill each other never questioned it. It was probably thought of as just good entertainment for the masses! The stadiums filled, the sponsors made a lot of money.

If studying history has taught me anything, it's that we look back in horror and wonder why people ever put up with what they did. Future generations will look back in horror at the brutality of what high school football teaches children.
Post a Comment