This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My secret Los Angeles - wide open-spaces

It wasn't long after I moved to Los Angeles that I started to wonder what it had all looked like before every square inch was covered with freeways and donut shops. I had lived in Arizona, where there were always wide-open spaces.

I lived in the San Fernando Valley, worked in Woodland Hills and lived in Canoga Park. If you've ever been to Canoga Park, well, I don't have to describe it to you. Sorry, Canoga Park Chamber of Commerce! But Canoga Park was a cheap place to live, and I really didn't "live" there, it was just a place to hang my hat. And it was a nice, short commute to Warner Center, where I worked for Blue Cross of California. That's Woodland Hills. About four miles.

So I took a "long cut". That's the opposite of a short cut. I just wanted to be somewhere that I wasn't just staring at taillights and traffic lights the whole way. I found it by going through Pierce College, which really didn't take me all that far out of my way. That's the view from there from Google Street View. No, you can't cut through it anymore, but you can still go there. Yes, it still looks like that. You are looking northwest from El Rancho Drive, which is just south of Victory, just east of DeSoto. Yes, that's a modern photo. Really.

And secret places like this became a passion for me. I had what I called the "L.A. Hee-Bee Jee-Bees" because of the crowding, the traffic, the noise. And that fact that my secret places were right nearby made them all the more special for me.
Post a Comment