This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

How to not tell boring stories to the young people

I have been researching my family history for over twenty years now. And that has included talking to a lot of my elders and betters. And while some of these people have been absolute gems, most have been boring old people who tell boring stories. If the years have turned you into this type of person, you can stop it. Now. Please.

If a young person wants to know how you spent Christmas as a child, tell them. Paint a picture in words. It will be beautiful, believe me. You don't have to go on and on about how someone stole something from you, and turn it into a moral lesson. And you don't have to go on and on and on and on...

No, things were not better when you were a child, they were just different. And going to a different place is the most wonderful part of hearing a story. And don't make up stuff. The fact that you paid fifteen cents for a candy bar is amazing enough. And don't be afraid to talk about how things have stayed the same. Families got together for Christmas. The snow fell. It may seem ordinary to you now, but to young ears, it's magic.

By the way, the man pictured above is my grandfather, whom I never knew. Everything I learned about him, including getting this photo, came from a 91-year-old aunt of mine who was kind enough to sit and talk to me many years ago. She was a gem.
Post a Comment