This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

What a home boy is

During a friendly conversation outside of my apartment complex in Canoga Park, California in the 1980s, I was told that I was a real home boy. I had not heard the term before, and even though the tone led me to believe that this was a compliment, I pretended to be insulted. "What? Are you starting something?" Yes, I was kidding. This guy, who was a real home boy, could have eaten me for lunch.

Being called a home boy is a compliment. Yes, it's been shortened to homey, and it can also be a home girl. And as "hip and cool" as it might sound, it really just means that you are a person from the neighborhood. The compliment that I received in the 1980s was meant to express that I seemed to know my way around, that I behaved as if I really belonged there. I was not an outsider, not a tourist. I was at home.

I have been a homey person all of my life. My grandma used to joke about being called a "homely person", but really she was just a home girl. It just means that you have respect for your surroundings, and the people who live there. It is such a simple compliment, to be called a homey. But it means a lot, when you know what it means.
Post a Comment