This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Why my college is not a football team to me

Like most people, I have fond memories of college. I am as proud of my school as anyone should be of theirs, but it's not a football team.

As a lifelong pacifist, I have always been opposed to, in addition to war, teaching our children violence and brutality through the encouragement of ground-acquisition games like football. I was a child of the seventies, who believed in love, not war. And if you're wondering if there are more people like me, there are. Just imagine.

After I graduated from ASU, I was in the habit of wearing an ASU sweatshirt. I am a graduate of ASU, and that makes me a Sun Devil. My degree from ASU has served me well in my career, and, as I said, I have fond memories of the old alma mater.

But after a few years I stopped wearing my school colors. People in restaurants would ask me about "the game". Since I know nothing about any football game, I was accused of not "really being a Sun Devil". And that's when I realized that for most people my college was a football team.

My college is not a football team. It's a campus where a lot of wonderful things happen, including education. No, don't worry, I'm not going to lobby to try to end the proliferation of games of violence on our college campuses, I know that there is too much money in that to even try. It's the same, I'm afraid, with war. Yes, it would be nice if these things went away. I won't live to see the end of this type of public display of hatred and violence, but I can imagine a world without it.

And in the meantime, my school will not be a football team to me.
Post a Comment