This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The easy way to do your genealogy

The easiest way to do your genealogy is to join a site like ancestry, look at the information that other people have posted, and then copy it. It's not only the easiest way to go, it's the fastest. And if you really know nothing about the internet, or genealogy, it seems to make sense. It's making a lot of money for places like ancestry, and it is really just as much garbage as most things on the internet.

Don't get me wrong, the internet is a great resource for information about your genealogy. But getting actual information, with documents that back it up, is not easy. Nor is it fast. So, if you really want to do your genealogy, you do have to get away from the "fast and easy" way of thinking. Save that for microwave dinners.

Genealogy is a lot of fun. It's like detective work, and it has always appealed to me. I am very slow to jump to conclusions, so when I am convinced, I have done a lot of work. This is not for everyone, obviously. Here is a sample page from my genealogy.

The good news is that you can use sites like ancestry to do your genealogy, and do it right. The bad news is that you will have to look at scans of original documents, you will have to learn how to use the census records, you have to learn a little about history, and you will have to be cynical.

I'm a stickler for accuracy when it comes to a lot of things. To me, it's not much fun if there are no rules, and no reference points. You might as well just make everything up. If you have a distant cousin who thinks that your family is descended from George Washington, and you don't know that George had no children, well, I guess that's your business.

Genealogy is a lot of fun. But it's not easy, and it's not fast. Not if you do it right.
Post a Comment