This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Moving to Phoenix, Arizona

I moved to Phoenix twice, once from Minneapolis and once from Los Angeles. And I am very happy here for many reasons. Please let me explain.

This may sound very obvious, but I moved to Phoenix from Minneapolis to get away from snow and cold. I am not one of those people who like freezing temperatures. I didn't like driving in the snow, nor did I like the feeling of a windchill that sliced right through me, no matter how warmly I dressed. The short summers and the glorious blue skies were what I liked the most, and in the midwest if you blinked, you missed them. When I was old enough to live wherever I could, I wanted to live in a world of endless summer.

Which brings me to California. California is a world of endless summer, too. I lived in Santa Barbara, and later in Los Angeles for many years. But the crowding and the expense (I could have never dreamed of buying a house there!) just made Phoenix feel so good afterwards. Phoenix is a place where I could breathe. It's been a long time since I lived in California but it seemed like it was always about waiting in line. Waiting in line to get on the freeway, waiting in line at grocery stores, at gas stations. And I ultimately agreed with Yoga Berra's wise comment that "nobody wants to live there because it's too crowded".

Phoenix is the perfect combination of wide-open spaces and urban attractions. No one could complain about attractions like sporting events, restaurants, and that sort of thing. And for someone like me, who will never forget the cold and mosquitos of Minnesota, sitting outside at a cafe, or even in my backyard is a thing that is always magical. And did I mention the sunsets? The smell of the desert after a rain? The blue skies?

Yeah, I like it here.

Post a Comment