This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Showing respect for faith and belief systems

I spent some time yesterday with two different groups of people who have faith in things that can't be explained by the scientific world. Specifically, I visited a monastery, and I also visited people who believe in extra-terrestrials. Before you jump to the conclusion that I am trying to be funny or sarcastic here, please let me explain.

The vast majority of people in the world believe in something that they can't really see, and they really can't show it to you. Faith takes many forms, but it has one thing in common, it connects people with something that goes beyond the commonplace world. I prefer to use the word "faith" or "belief system" instead of "religion". Although I may not share a particular faith, I show respect. And I am surprised, and saddened, by how few people do show this type of respect.

If you want to try to understand faith, don't bother looking at old manuscripts or fuzzy videos of UFOs. Look into the eyes of the people who believe. It's there, it really is. It would be nice if you were a believer, but if you can't be, it would be nice if you could just show respect.
Post a Comment