This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Remembering Vietnam

I was a teenager when the war in Vietnam ended. You don't have to be a history expert to know that it was the least popular war in United States' history. In fact, that is putting it very mildly. For the people who lived through the era of the Vietnam war, it seemed to be an indication that the United States Government was out of touch, and out of control. Google "Vietnam protests" if you don't believe me.

Young men like me grew up under the shadow of Vietnam. I was just a kid, of course, but I had no intention of going to fight in a war that made absolutely no sense to me. My friends and I in Junior High School had decided that we would all go to Mexico, and in preparation for that, we all took a few Spanish classes. We didn't tell our parents, they just thought we were interested in foreign languages. We were in Minnesota, so we would have probably just gone to Canada, anyway.

President Nixon started withdrawing the troops from Vietnam in 1975. Whether the war ended before that, or after that, is a matter of opinion, depending on where you were. For the soldiers there, it ended when they came home. For me, the repeal of the draft when I was 18 was all that I needed to know. The draft was quietly reinstated years later, but I am among the only group of young men who never even had to register for the draft in The United States.

Today, Vietnam seems so far away it might as well be The Civil War, or World War II. And it can't be far enough away for me.
Post a Comment