This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Being unstuck in time

Many people who know that I am interested in history jump to the conclusion that I dislike the modern world. This isn't true. I like my computer, my cell phone, my air conditioning (I live in Phoenix!) and all of the comforts of the modern age. I like beautiful, modern, well-designed freeways (I live in Phoenix!) and have no interest in living in a time and place where these things are not available.

I am curious about how the world works, and history gives me some of the answers that I hunger for. I am also an early adaptor. My career took off early as I embraced computer technology for graphic design and web design. I used "electronic mail" in the 1990s. And before that, I was one of the first people to have an "answering machine". Heck, if I'd lived long enough ago, I would have been the first person on the block to have a telephone! Or a car!

To me, time flows like a river, and I enjoy becoming unstuck in time, and letting the current take me to interesting places. I resent being trapped in the here and now, the same way some people resent being trapped in a particular place. I've always had a strong sense of the fourth dimension, and if you do, you know what I mean.

By the way, I didn't come up with the term "unstuck in time", Kurt Vonnegut did. But you knew that, didn't you?
Post a Comment