This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

False history

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a history buff. It enriches my life. I like being able to name Civil War generals. It's a hobby. I like sharing information with fellow history buffs. No, I don't make money on it, but, uh, you really aren't supposed to make money on hobbies, are you?

Unfortunately 99.999999% of the people in the world are not history buffs. They have not read Isaac Asimov's History of the World (can you believe it isn't available as an ebook?).  They haven't researched their family back thirteen generations. Nor would most people care to. But most people do like history. Unfortunately, it's mostly false history. So when people find out that I like history, they start right up with the false history. There is so much of it out there that I won't mention it, especially here in a blog, where it will get indexed and quoted out of context.

I can usually spot a false history story coming my way from someone who prefaces it with, "did you know that... blah blah, is blah blah blah". No backup information, no reference to any documentation. I try desperately not to be contradictory, especially if someone else is buying the beer, so I just try to smile, nod, and move the subject elsewhere. Because of my teaching background, I sometimes will say, "I know about that, would you care to hear about it?", which a nice way of letting someone off the hook. No, they don't want to know about it, but I do.

There, now I feel better.
Post a Comment