This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My parents' view of the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7th 1941

My parents were young teenagers when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. I often think of their world, and I try to imagine it through their eyes. They couldn't have known what would happen, in fact no one could. It must have been as scary as hell.

My parents did not know each other before my dad joined the Marines and went to Okinawa. They met after he returned safe and sound, which is why I am writing this today. And while my father was remarkably handsome, as all we Hall men are, he was terribly shy, and so there was no girl waiting for him to come home.

My father followed his older brother, Robert, into the United States Marine Corps in 1944, when he was eighteen. In August of 1945 the Japanese surrendered, after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Looking back, it's hard to imagine why Japan would have attacked the United States the way it did. The history books say that they awoke a sleeping giant, and they did.

After the war, my father took advantage of the GI Bill and started attending college classes which were being held in Greenway High School in Coleraine, Minnesota. There he met my mom. The rest, as they say, is history.
Post a Comment