This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

What the Puritans thought of Thanksgiving

If you are wondering what my family, the Puritans, thought about Thanksgiving, I have two answers for you - they never thought about it, and they thought about it all of the time.

What I mean to say is that there was no particular day set aside to give thanks to God. The Puritans did it all of the time, with every breath they took. And if you have lost track of the meaning of Thanksgiving, which is a day to give Thanks to God, well, I guess I can't blame you. In my lifetime it has never meant more than a big meal with family or friends, and getting ready for the Christmas shopping season.

And if you're wondering what the Puritans did to really, really, give thanks to God, they didn't eat, they fasted. "Pigging out" was no way to give thanks to God.

If you would like to celebrate Thanksgiving Day the way the Puritans did, go about your business as usual, eat what you need, do what you need to do, and give thanks to God. You don't even need to say it out loud, He will hear you.
Post a Comment