This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The Phillips family of Minnesota, Canada, and California

Keeping track of large families isn't easy. My paternal great-great grandparents, Thomas Burroughs Phillips and Ellen (Harrington), had twelve children. For purposes of organization, I have tried to divide their children into different "branches". Luckily, I have a computer that keeps track of all this! When you have families that have a dozen children, and each child has a dozen children, well, you can see that it can be hard to follow.

So there is the the Minnesota branch, the Canadian branch, and the California branch. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I know.

I am from the Minnesota branch. My great-grandparents, George Hoeper and Mae (Phillips - the daughter of Thomas and Ellen), in the photo at left, moved to Minnesota after they were married in 1897. And their son Robert was born in Minnesota, and he begat my father, who begat me.

The Canadian branch of the family was begun by Susan Anette Phillips ("Aunt Nettie"), who married James Cameron in 1891 and moved up to Canada in 1902. The Camerons begat the Troops.

The California branch of the family was begun by Ira Phillips. He moved to Los Angeles, and although his children were born in Wisconsin and Oregon, eventually most of them moved down to LA. I give Ira the credit as the patriarch of the California branch, but I think that some of his children were there first, and he just moved down there for the nice weather. Can you blame him? The family Phillips family line continues in Los Angeles through the Goodell and the Kaufman family.

I started working on my family's genealogy in the mid-90s. Once the internet was invented, I started connecting with more family members. Over the years I've tried to keep up, but, well, the family keeps growing, and I may not be adding more and more generations through all of these lines. But if you are descended from one of these families, you can read more about our common ancestor here

http://www.bradhallart.com/ps01/ps01_199.htm

If you follow through the maternal line, that is, Ellen Harrington, and then through her mother's family, the Nash family, you can go back over 300 years to the Puritans who became the common folk that I write about in this blog.

http://www.bradhallart.com/ps01/ps01_200.htm

http://www.bradhallart.com/ps01/ps01_216.htm

and so on. Just keep clicking on "Nash"


Post a Comment