This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Original sin

When I first started working on my genealogy, in the mid-90s, I kept running across mention of "Original Sin". I consider myself well-read, and I had read many different translations of The Bible, but I just didn't understand what it was. It was before the days of the internet, but I was surrounded by intelligent people who, like I, had gone to church and been raised Christian. And the books I read didn't seem to help. I had long since given it up until I asked the young son of a friend of mine.

I think he was about 12 and I can still remember his explanation, which was crystal-clear. I came to realize that it isn't something that most Christians know anything about, and if they do, they are not comfortable talking about it. So I learned it from a child. In a long lifetime of learning, it still ranks towards the top of one of the most important lessons that I ever got.

If you want to learn more about faith, and about Christianity, look through the eyes of a child. I was fortunate enough to do so.
Post a Comment